Strawberry Arugula Salad
A Note from the Chef: This is one of my favorite recipes, particularly when the lady selling strawberries sets up shop around the corner from my home. It only has four ingredients. Each one is a star and sings in harmony with the others. I make my own balsamic syrup by heating 2 cups of balsamic vinegar in a stainless-steel pot to about 1/4 cup. Instead, you can buy it now in almost any supermarket
- 1 box (1 pound) arugula, precleaned (Buy wild baby arugula if it is available)
- 1 log goat cheese (I prefer Laura Chenel. You can buy crumbled goat cheese if you're in a pinch.)
- 1-2 pints fresh strawberries, rinsed, dried, and sliced (Use as many as you'd like.)
- extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic Syrup, homemade or store-bought.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly dress the arugula with extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper, being careful to not overdress the leaves.
- Lay the arugula down in a serving platter or shallow bowl.
- Sprinkle strawberries on top.
- Using a fork, crumble the goat over the strawberries
- Drizzle the balsamic syrup on top of the salad
Chef's Notes: I make my own balsamic syrup by heating 2 cups of balsamic vinegar in a stainless-steel pot to about 1/4 cup. Instead, you can buy it now in almost any supermarket.
- I think the slight spiciness of the arugula is perfect in this salad but, you can substitute mixed greens or your favorite lettuce.
- Add grilled shrimp or other protein to make this an entre salad.